CWA Forum

Lure control with leadcore- Clueless yesterday
Last Post 13 Apr 2013 01:47 PM by Derrick Sova. 4 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages

--
07 Apr 2013 10:04 AM
    I'm new to fishing with leadcore and gave it a try for the first time yesterday. I felt like I had no clue where my crank's were running in relation to the fish I was marking on the screen.

I was using 15LB leadcore and #5 shadrap in 20 FOW. I fluctuated my trolling speed from 1.2mph on the low end to 1.8mph on the high end. I had 30-50ft of lead core out as i tried to vary this because i didnt feel my lures were running deep enough.

While i'm kinda ok with not catching fish, I felt like my lures were not running deep enough or that I was doing something wrong because I thought for sure I would hit bottom occasionaly too.

Any suggestions or feedback for me?

Derrick
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    07 Apr 2013 01:12 PM
    Good morning Derrick,

Let me start out by saying I am by no means an expert when it comes to trolling with leadcore - or actually trolling in general, but one thing I can tell you is that leadcore is very speed sensitive.

Were you using a leader in front of the leadcore - if so how long was your leader? According to my Precision Trolling book it says using a 50 foot leader of 10 pound monofilament and having 3 colors (90) feet of leadcore and going a speed of 1.0-1.5 mph with a shad rap #5 your lure would have been around 17-19 feet down. With that same setup and going from .75 to 1.0 mph your lure would have been down about 20-22 feet. With a speed of .5 to .75 your lure would have been down around 23-25 feet. With these numbers I'm guessing that your lure wasn't anywhere as deep as you thought?

A rule of thumb you often hear about leadcore is for every color you let out it takes your lure down 5 feet - this of course if very speed dependent.

I like to use the Precision Trolling book as a starting point, but I also like to find a large flat that has the depth close to the depth I want my lure to run. So if I want my lure to run 15 feet down I find a large flat at 15 feet and then I start with what the book suggests and see if it hits bottom - if it doesn't I let out about 1/2 of a color and go ways and see if it hits then - I keep doing this until my lure taps bottom occasionally then I make note of my speed and number of colors let out. If when I first start the lure is pounding the bottom (hitting the bottom fairly constantly) I will reverse the process and reel up half a color until the lure just hits occasionally.

Now assuming you don't have the book you can do the same thing using the 5 feet rule of thumb and keep adjusting until your lure hits the right depth. One thing to keep in mind any time you turn any lines on the inside of the turn will go deeper because it will slow down and any lines on the outside will rise up because they will speed up.

Like anything else it takes time on the water and practicing but after awhile you will start getting a pretty good idea of what depth your lure is running. Hopefully some of our more experienced trolling anglers will chime in with some more advice.

Let me know if you have any questions or would like more details.

Great question by the way and I'm interested in seeing what some of our other anglers have to say on this matter.

Lonnie

--
    08 Apr 2013 10:16 AM
    I agree with Lonnie.

It's speed and lure dependent but a good starting point is 5 feet for ever color of lead going 2 mph. I'll be thinking 7 feet per color if a diving lure or weighted lure is being used. This is with a 10' or less leader.

--
    08 Apr 2013 07:08 PM
    The previous replies are very good replies. I agree a lot with what Lonnie wrote to you. I too, usually use a 5 foot per color rule plus the dive of the bait to have a rough number in my head. I count my colors in 1/4, 1/2, and full colors IN the water. So, 2 colors for me is 2 full colors in the water with the transition of the the second and third color at the water. If I had on a crank with a small bill out 2 colors, I would figure on it being about 13-16 feet deep doing 2.0 MPH. How do I know for sure? Drive your boat to a sandy area and run it into the bottom! Then, you will exactly how deep it's running. Eventually you will "feel" how deep you are, and then you can place your lures where you want them. The biggest thing you have to do, is find your style and do it the way feels right to you. I haven't found another person who does it exactly like me. My way isn't always right either... Sometimes I mark fish and put the bait in there face and they dont eat it, it happens.. It may not have been you that day! Fish can be like women some days... IT'S NOT YOU, ITS ME! HAHA (no offense to any ladies)Good luck next time out, and feel free to contact me if there is any way I can help further!
    Thanks

--
    13 Apr 2013 01:47 PM
    Thanks to those who replied! I appreciate the tips.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Sponsors

That allows all of us in order to with confidence complement that rolex replica uk achieve the very best of the greatest reproduction rolex replica uk once we take ascendancy within the complete build up collection, in the leader towards the complete. 1 going to in the rolex replica uk as well as precious metal combination about the call, the actual bezel and also the straps, as well as people is going to be scared in order to rolex replica sale which this can be a reproduction view and never the actual aboriginal. The actual Hublot Reproduction Wrist watches is a good option within reproduction rolex replica sale having a choice that means it is simple to find some thing for the design as well as requirements. Purchase tag heuer replica as well as display your own luxurious jewelry right now.